Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Fast Love or Slow Burn?

It's been awhile since I've posted anything, but after seeing a particular critique that I have gotten quite a few times from readers. I felt it was time to clarify.


Often times I get reviews where readers don't like how quickly my main characters fell in love. They wished that it took longer for the couple to fall in love. Well, when you get a Twyla Turner novel, just know that more than likely, the couple will fall fast. Why?

1. It's FICTION. This is not a memoir. It's not an autobiography. It's a made up story in my mind. It's make believe. It's an interpretation of real life. Not the real thing. Though I'm really grateful that you felt so connected to the characters that they felt real.

2. More than likely I will never write an epic novel that's 1,000 pages long or even close to it. I love reading full-length novels, where you really get to know the characters. But epic, long-winded novels where you know every single thought of the character, from sunup to sundown, is not my style. I'm not a fan of reading it, so I'm not a fan of writing it. I don't want a long narrative, where my character is at war with her/his feelings for so long that my readers say, "Would they hurry up and admit they're in love, already?!" I will not write a whole lot of useless neurotic tangents to add to my word count. If the storyline that I'm writing calls for twisting and winding prose that adds up to 1,000 pages, then so be it. But in my opinion, I'd rather have readers say, "I wish the book was longer." Versus, "Wow, she just rambled on and on about nothing."


3. Great for long-running TV shows that make you tune in week after week. Not good for books. Especially when the reader is up at 2am on a weeknight, reading one more chapter because maybe it'll finally be the chapter they profess their love to each other.

So those are my thoughts on the subject. Hopefully, it cleared up any confusion.

'Til next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad