Thursday, January 22, 2015

My Fantasy Life vs. My Real Life

So for a year and about four months, I have been writing like a machine. I put out 4 books within a year (Yeah, I'm a little impatient). Should I have taken more time with each one, perhaps. But I couldn't help myself. Anyway, I digress. So during this time, I have done little to no socializing. During most of the year I worked a 40 hour week at a call center and then wrote every waking moment I had in between. I didn't have time or interest in hanging out with anyone.

But now, I'm only writing for the time being (hopefully permanently). And I've been suffering from a bit of the writer's block. One of the main reasons I feel that I've hit a road block or wall, is because I need to interact with people. I've become restless. I'm a social person and staying cooped up in the house ALL the time isn't for me. At least when I had my other job, I was able to socialize with my co-workers five days a week.

Also, by socializing, I mean dating. But considering what I want out of my life in the near future and the focus I need to get my writing career off the ground...I don't have much time for that nonsense. So I've reached an impasse. How do I focus on my writing, constantly living in a fantasy world I've made up in my mind and have an actual life? Where is the balance?

And maybe I should just stop whining and focus on my career and wait for the other stuff at a later date. But that's when you look up and 10+ years have passed you by and you haven't LIVED that entire time and you suddenly realize your home is rather loudly filled with silence...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad